April 16th – “Snowbound”
On my list of Sabbatical Goals, “digging out from a mid-April snowstorm” is not there. Still, if this is a price we pay to live in this country, I’ll gladly pony up, with only minimal complaining (but complaining nonetheless, I mean COME ON, it’s mid-April!!). Seeing as this is a sabbatical and I am committed to learning, I would like to share a few things I learned from this experience:
- April is Latin for “gotcha!!”
- The parking lot at Bradford Greenhouses looks HUGE with no cars in it.
- The Weather Network employs smart people.
- Ministers know just as many bad words as everyone else.
- Ice is pretty when it encases tree branches.
- Even when you gun your engine, there are some snowbanks that are impassable in your car.
- Neighbours who push you out of a snowbank are a true blessing (thanks Pierce!).
- The birds of spring still sing to greet the dawn.
- The employees at Tim Horton’s laugh at you behind your back when your window is frozen shut in the drive-thru and you have to open your door to get your order.
- The Leafs still in the playoffs, so life could be worse.
That’s it. More shovelling to do. Happy Monday. Happy Spring.
P.S. The weather forecast for Dawson City today is 6 degrees and sunny. Just sayin’.